So what’s all the excitement about anyway? Why do homeschooling families around the country put such a high value on attending their state’s convention year after year? What are the advantages?
Well, in my personal opinion, there is nothing like being with thousands of other parents who all share the same vision. It’s refreshing, encouraging, and inspiring. Here are a a couple of our favorite advantages to attending a homeschool show…
You will find a nice balance of workshops purposefully chosen to share vision, encouragement, and inspiration, as well as a variety of practical, “how-to” sessions packed with ideas you can take home and use to strengthen and enrich your family’s home education experience.
In the exhibit hall you will find a delightful opportunity to browse curriculum and hands-on resources in person, save on shipping charges, and often find a number of exhibitors offering “Convention Specials” as well. Even if you already have a curriculum that’s working well for your family, you may come across a few good books to add to your home library, or some great games and educational toys/activities to add to your family’s collection. It’s definitely worth the time to explore the thousands of resources that the exhibitors bring in!
Convention Tips- From the Alabama Homeschool Expo
- It will be different than you expected it to be.
- There are TONS of things to see and look at.
- There are at least 50 different curriculums that you have never even heard of.
- Pack comfortable shoes, you will be walking a lot.
- Consider bringing a suitcase with wheels, or a wheeled buggy. This is to hold all of the purchases you will be buying.
- Pack snacks, you may be “lost” for awhile.
- If you came to shop, be sure to listen to at least 2 speakers. Yes, you come for the curriculum and to see the books, but speakers can encourage you, and keep you grounded for another year.
- If you came for the speakers, plan to spend time shopping around. It is good to get a feel for what is out there in terms of curriculum. Even if you’re not ready to buy.
- It is good to have a list. Even if you’re not sure what you want to buy, make a list of what you want to look at. It is easy to get sidetracked once inside.
- Have fun! This is one time a school year when you can go, relax, and look around. Count it as a teacher in-service day, and enjoy yourself. Meet up with other homeschool moms and chat. You will leave feeling refreshed and encouraged.
We hope that you and your family are able to make the incredible investment of attending a convention. It will be worth it! 🙂